Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

What do you do with a mortgaged home when you divorce?

When Texas couples divorce, the largest item they are likely to have to deal with is their home. For most of us, that means a residence on which we have a substantial mortgage. One mortgage planner advises divorcing couples who have a home to "[s]ell it, pay off the mortgage and move on."

The decision about what to do with the family home depends on a number of factors. If you owe more on the home than it is worth, you may decide on a short sale or to pay off the difference between the amount left on the mortgage and what the property is worth. A short sale, or selling your home for less money than you owe on the mortgage, can impact both spouses' credit.

Couples need to determine whether they should refinance the mortgage under one person's name, keep both of their names on the mortgage or sell the home. If the two of you agree to sell the home and you can do so without losing money, that can be a good deal. However, that is not always what couples choose to do.

In some cases, one spouse wants to keep the home and has good enough credit to qualify to refinance it under his or her name only. That may be the best decision, provided that the other spouse agrees to let the home go.

If neither spouse can qualify to refinance the mortgage on his or her own, which is often the case, the best decision may be to sell the home. As the mortgage planner notes, both spouses should ask themselves if they would buy the home if they were single.

What to do with the family residence should be a part of all divorce negotiations. Your Texas family law attorney may be able to advise you and refer you to a real estate professional to determine the best way to handle the home. This can be emotional issue, particularly if you have children who have grown up in the home. However, you also have to look at it from a financial perspective.

Source: Bankrate, "Breaking up the mortgage after divorce" Polyana da Costa, accessed Mar. 09, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us
Sustaining Life Fellow Signature Badge Weinman-badge

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map