legal answers now.

July 2015 Archives

How, why and by whom is a paternity suit filed in Texas?

When a woman has a child with a man who is not her husband and he does not willingly claim paternity of the child, she has the option to file a paternity suit. In Texas, if a married woman has a child or if she was married at the time of conception, her husband is presumed to be the child's father. However, that does not prevent her from filing a paternity suit to have another man named the legal father.

Avoid these mistakes during your divorce

After you've made it through your divorce, you'll likely look back and see things that you should have done differently. That's only natural. You're making decisions that will impact you and your children for a long time to come at a time when your emotions are likely impairing your judgment.

How prenups can reward those who stay in long-term marriages

While Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck's recent announcement that they were divorcing received significant media attention, many of the details remain unknown to the public. This, of course, has given rise to speculation from Hollywood tabloids to serious financial publications.

Why should you wait before buying a home after divorce?

When Texas couples divorce, they may choose to sell the family home and split any profits. In some cases, one spouse buys out the other's share of the family home and stays in it him/herself. Whatever the case, one or both spouses often find themselves looking for another property to purchase not long after the divorce.