Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

Remedies if a spouse won't obey a divorce order

Different individuals handle divorce with varying degrees of success and dignity. Unfortunately, some former spouses seem to have great difficulty complying with some aspects of a divorce decree. If you find yourself on the receiving end of this behavior, it can be very frustrating. Fortunately, the law provides remedies for just this circumstance.

When an ex-spouse disobeys a divorce order, he or she places him or herself in contempt of the court that issued the order. If your ex-spouse will not abide by the terms of the order, you can file contempt of court civil charges against him or her. The court can then require the ex-spouse to appear before it to resolve the matter.

If your ex-spouse is refusing to pay child or spousal support, you may have grounds to seek criminal child support charges against him or her. Criminal charges carry significantly greater weight, generally speaking, and may even mean jail time in some cases.

You can also seek a judgment against your ex-spouse from a judge, if your ex owes you money. With the judgment, you can use collections procedures against your ex, including seizing property or even some forms of wages.

If your spouse is giving you trouble and refusing to comply with your divorce decree, you should also consider enlisting the guidance of an attorney. While there are many legal tools available to combat this behavior, navigating the system is never simple. With proper legal guidance, you can ensure that you understand all of your options in the matter and can protect your rights as you pursue justice.

Source: Findlaw, "3 Potential Ways to Enforce a Divorce Decree," accessed Sep. 28, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map