Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

How can I compel a parent to pay owed child support?

If your child's other parent does not pay his or her child support on time, your child is ultimately the one who suffers. Unfortunately, many parents with child support obligations do not stay current with support payments, placing both themselves and the support-receiving parent in a difficult conflict. For the parent trying to cover the shortfall of income, this can seem like a hopeless circumstance with no solution.

However, the law does provide receiving parents with some recourse against nonpaying or delinquent parents. Depending on the how much support a parent owes and how many months behind he or she is on payments, a number of authorities may impose several different kinds of pressure on the nonpaying parent to catch up on their support and remain current. These consequences may include

  • Wage garnishment
  • Property seizure
  • Seizure of tax refunds
  • Professional license suspension
  • Driver's license suspension
  • Incarceration

These remedies all affect a parent with varying degrees of severity, and even if a remedy is possible, it is not always in the best interest of the child. One can easily see how a parent who cannot drive or who is incarcerated might face additional difficulty earning money to pay back support he or she owes, for instance.

Before you pull every lever you can find in desperation, be sure to consult with an experienced family law attorney to explore your options fully and protect your rights. You may find that you and your child's other parent can reach an understanding and get back on track with a little legal guidance, keeping your child's best interests at the heart of the solution.

Source: FindLaw, "Enforcement of Child Support: FAQ's," accessed Jan. 05, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map