Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

Can I modify my divorce judgment?

When the dust settles and you come up for air after a divorce, you may quickly find that the terms of your divorce decree are not possible for you to uphold, or present some serious injustice. While the decree is legally binding, it is possible to petition the court that issued it to reconsider the terms and make modifications.

In general, petitioning a court for a modification is more likely to succeed than an appeal to a higher court. Whereas an appeal seeks to have one court undo the ruling of a lower court, which is not terribly common in divorce law, a modification is granted by the same court that issued the original divorce decree, and is usually significantly easier to achieve.

In order for a court to agree to a modification, the petitioning party must present compelling evidence that goes beyond mere inconvenience or personal frustration. A court is unlikely, for instance, to approve a modification simply because one parent wants more time with a child in a custody arrangement. However, if one parent sees that the other parent is behaving dangerously around the child, the court may agree to revisit the terms of custody. Similarly, if a parent paying child support faces hard financial times, he or she may request a modification to something more reasonable.

If you believe that you need to modify your divorce decree, you must make sure that you understand how to keep your rights secure in the process. An experienced attorney can help you look at your circumstances from a legal perspective and identify strategies you can use to protect your rights and build a new life for yourself after a divorce.

Source: FindLaw, "Appeals and Motions to Modify the Divorce Judgment," accessed Feb. 23, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map