Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

What are your options if your spouse abandons you?

These days, you don't hear as much about marital abandonment as you used to back when most wives were financially dependent on their husbands. However, it can still occur. Marital abandonment is when spouse leaves their husband or wife (and sometimes children), severing all ties and financial obligations to their family. In some cases, they work to ensure that they can't be located.

To be considered potentially criminal, this abandonment is done without "just cause." On the other hand, if a wife leaves and doesn't tell her husband where she's going because she's the victim of domestic violence or if a husband leaves because his wife's drinking has made being in the home intolerable, that's known as "constructive abandonment."

Note that neither type of abandonment is the same as moving out as part of a trial separation or as you go through a divorce. You can use your spouse's abandonment as grounds for divorce. However, since divorce doesn't have to be fault-based, you need to determine whether it's advantageous to do that. If you do, here in Texas, your spouse must have abandoned you for at least a year.

Is it worth doing that? That's an important question. If you have children, it may be easier to get primary or sole custody of them if your spouse abandoned the family (assuming that they want any custody rights). However, it might be more beneficial to file for divorce on a no-fault basis and take steps to locate your spouse to get some of the financial help you need.

It's not as easy to seemingly disappear off the face of the earth as it once was before the internet, GPS and a wide range of technological advancements. However, it can happen.

Whether your spouse has disappeared and you can't locate them or you know where they are, but they're refusing to handle financial obligations like supporting the children or paying part of the mortgage, it's wise to talk with a family law attorney to determine what legal options you have.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map