Weinman & Associates, P.C.
Legal Answers Now 512-472-4040

During these historic, changing times, Weinman & Associates is proud to announce its expansion into new practice areas. In addition to our long-standing and exceptional family law services, we now offer services for BANKRUPTCY and DEBT RELIEF, WILLS and ESTATE PLANNING, and CRIMINAL DEFENSE. Please see our web pages for more information, or contact us to discuss your needs.

5 Tips For Custodial Parents Moving Out Of State

Moving out of state can be stressful, particularly for custodial parents who want to bring their children along. Here are 5 tips for custodial parents, referred to as conservators in Texas, who are considering a move to another state.

Do Not Move Out Of State Without Following The Proper Steps

Moving out of state without notifying the other parent and getting approval from the court puts you at risk of allegations of parental kidnapping. You could be in violation of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA). Not only could you jeopardize your relationship with your child, you could be charged criminally.

Make Sure You File The Correct Forms With The Court

Even if you have reached agreements with the other parent regarding the relocation, you need to formalize them with the court. This protects you in the event the other spouse changes his or her mind, or if any of the agreements were unclear. If you and the other parent have not reached an agreement, the court will need to decide on your case.

Give Enough Notice To The Noncustodial Parent

The law requires you to give the other parent at least 60 days notice that you will be moving to another state. The earlier you provide notice and begin the process the better, as child custody disputes can take time to resolve if they arise.

Verify Which State Has Jurisdiction

Each state has different laws pertaining to child custody and move-aways. You need to make certain your case is handled in the correct state. If you, the other parent and your child are lifelong Texas residents, this may not be an issue. However, if there have been moves in the past, it is important to verify which state has jurisdiction. This will be determined by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA).

Make Sure You Adhere To New Child Custody Arrangements

Once you have moved, it can be easy to let new child custody arrangements slip. Make sure your child is on time for scheduled Skype sessions and phone calls with the other parent. Make certain trips for your child to visit the other parent are planned well ahead of time. Punctuality and preparation can go a long way toward avoiding conflicts.

Are you considering moving out of Texas with your child? Do you want to move to Texas with your child? At Weinman & Associates, our attorneys can guide you through the steps you need to take to relocate to another state with your child. Contact us today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us Now To Begin
Speaking With An Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinman & Associates, P.C. Review Us Sustaining Life Fellow Signature Badge

Office Location

Weinman & Associates, P.C.
8200 North MoPac Expressway
Suite 230
Austin, TX 78759

Phone: 512-472-4040
Fax: 512-472-4086
Austin Law Office Map